Friday, September 2, 2011

Honey Glazed Salmon

I had been craving Salmon all week by the time yesterday's dinner was made. By Thursday night... it was doing dooooown! Now I could have quelled my cravings by simply going to a restaurant and handing over 15- 20 dollars for a mediocre meal that would have been enough food for one serving, or I could take that same $15/$20 and purchase a decent piece of fish and make enough food for 2 people that would make enough for dinner with left-overs for the next day. I love left overs :-)

Here is how I did it.....

1.5 pounds of Salmon - $ 15
Honey- I had.
Chilli powder - Had it.

Fresh spinach - I had on stock.
1/2 Shallot- I had.
1/4 Onion- I had.

Rice- I had.
Olive Oil- Had that too
Salt and pepper- Had it.
Garlic - You guessed it...


BEFORE:



AFTER:




Recipe: ( adapted from a cooks.com recipe )

1 lb. fresh salmon fillets
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. honey
1/4 onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. chili powder
Salt and pepper

Steps:

1. Rinse and pat dry the salmon
2. Cut the pieces into desired serving size. ( suggest no bigger than the palm of your hand)
3. If the skin is still on one the salmon - cut that off
4. Sprinkle both sides with with salt and pepper
5. Cover and put in the fridge for a 15- 30 min (If you are in a rush... no big deal. A few minutes will do)
6. While the Salmon is chillin' (literally haha) start chopping your veggies
7. Cut your onion into half moon slices
8. Crush and the rough chop your garlic
9. Mix honey, garlic and chilli powder into a small bowl
10. When ready, pull your salmon out of the fridge and place it on the counter.
11. Heat your olive oil into a large pan (medium heat)
12. Once hot... Place salmon in along with your onions allow each side to cook until there is only a little bit of pink left in the center of the salmon
13. Pour honey mixture over the salmon (it will bubble up) and continuously pour over the salmon until nicely coated and fish is finished cooking
14. Serve hot on a bed of rice and fresh spinach sauteed in shallots and garlic . - or however you should desire it.


Total time for the entire meal ( rice and spinach included): Approx 30 min!




1 comment: