Thursday, September 22, 2011

The way to a woman's heart....

As a few of you know, my knee is healing and after a summer on crutches, I've finally upgraded to a cane (woo hoo). Y'all know what that means: I'm out and about and ready to start dating again. Now, the only reason I'm posting about this is because 1) I'm really excited about dating again and 2) I've eaten a lot of really good food along the way. The blog is called "Watch She Eat " after all, and she's been eating a lot lol.....


Over the past week I've gone to this cute French restaurant in Manhattan, eaten Felafel in Union Square and hung out at the farmers market, eaten plenty of Roti throughout Brooklyn and Queens (I seriously cannot get enough of that stuff...mmmmmm) and have gone gardening. It's been a lot of fun exploring NYC and meeting new people through the city's abundance of food options. My two favorite experiences thus far had to be going to this little Roti spot in Queens and gardening. At the Roti spot, there was reggae music playing in the background, bright tropical colors on the walls, the heavy scent of curries and spices in the air and the playful lit of the Trini accent interacting with it all. You couldn't tell me that I was still in Queens, for my mind and body had been transported to the islands. This is what I got:




Fried sweet plantain, tomatoes and greens, and the buss-up shot.



Close up-before I demolished it. Like a lady of course :-P



The dough is called a Buss-up-Shut or Buss-Up-Shot, and you tear it and use it to scoop up the fillings which in my case, were Chorai/Callaloo (greens) and something like stewed tomatoes. Chorai is similar to spinach in that it's a leafy green, but it has a richer, earthier flavor to me. It was delicious - and spicy! When I mentioned the heat, delivered by none other than the notorious scotch bonnet, I got a laugh and a "Yankee" casually thrown in my direction... haha.


Info on how to make a buss-up-shot: here and here.

Check back tomorrow to read about my gardening experience :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment