Sunday, January 17, 2010

Eggplant Parm...

If there is one thing that I know how to make well, its eggplant parm. Eggplant Parmesan has a special place in both my heart and within my very limited culinary rolodex. My not so healthy attachment could be attributed to the fact that I grew up in the Bronx, or because of the eggplant's regal color, or the fact that its fried, then slathered in marinara and blanketed with cheese... yup that's it :-) Mmmm heartburn here I come!

Yesterday after spending some quality time on the elliptical and then running around the Washington Convention Center - for the Health and Wellness Expo. I decided that I needed some couch time. I ran past Blockbuster to pick up Julie and Julia (research for the blog), and then slowly made my way home. I was 5 minutes away, when I realized that I had eaten everything in my refrigerator two days ago. *Sigh* Luckily for me the grocery store was on my way home, and I was hungry.... at this point my plans on laying off of the fatty foods flew out the window. I needed something that would be easy and would put a smile on my face.... EGGPLANT PARM!!!!! I told Mr. A ( my boyfriend, hmmm I kinda like moniker ;-P. Sorta reminds me of Sara Jessica Parker and Mr. Big) that I would make it this week, cooking it that night would be like killing two birds with one stone.

I grab 2 eggplants, cheese, 2 jars of sauce spaghetti sauce, 2 boxes of whole wheat pasta and make a dash for the checkout line. " I see that your substituting for the meat" I look up confused at the cashier and realize that he's referring to the eggplant... "Um, yeah." Ladies, ever since I started cooking and going to the grocery store regularly, I've been hearing more and more of these random comments from the male grocers. To all my single friends, food and and the prospect of home cooked meals may be the best way to hook a man's attention - I'm just sayin'.

I get home, psyched because I got all of that stuff for about 12 bucks, and collapse for a few minutes on the couch. The few minutes turn into an hour and a half of Julie and Julia and I'm still exhausted... and hungry. I pull out all of my ingredients, when I realize that I only have about a tablespoon of oil left. "FUUUUUUDGE" -That's not exactly what I muttered, but close enough. So out I walked, grumbling to the grocery store again, threw some oil into the basket and a bottle of Merlot for good measure. I saw the cashier from a paragraph up look in my direction, and I immediately went to self checkout lol.

Home sweet home.... As soon as I stepped into the crib, I got to work. I battered and fried the eggplant, and then layered spinach, marinara, and mozzerella until I used up all of the eggplant. While I was frying up the eggplant, my friend Nobuko dropped by to talk about work, life, men and her recent trip to Buenos Aires. We polished off half a bottle of wine by the time the eggplant parm was put into the oven for the final bake off. As I set my timer for 30 minutes, I called my friend Monique to come over and Nobuko cracked open the bottle of Merlot. By the end of the night, 2 hours had passed in conversation and 3/4 of a tray of Eggplant Parmesan, and 1 1/2 bootles of wine were gone. Wine, good food and girlfriends always make for a goodnight... all there was left to do were the dishes :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment