Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bread, Bread, Bread

As a have told a few of you, my goal for this year to experience and understand food a lot better. Not bad for a New Years resolution eh? Anyway I decided to begin my quest by learning how to bake one of my favorite foods.... BREAD. Being the busy, 20 something that I am, sandwiches are usually my quick fix for those mid afternoon hunger pains, which naturally makes baking bread a great choice.
Last weekend, I called my brother up for a few suggestions, and he recommended that I try King Arthur's recipe for whole wheat sandwich bread. I was a little nervous at first, because, well I've never made it before and I didn't want to get stuck with a loaf of dry wheat bread (yuck!). Guys, it was surprisingly easy, and VERRRRRY delish. The best part is that it only required 7 ingredients: Yeast, water, vegetable oil. maple syrup, whole wheat flour, non fat dry milk and salt. Compare that to Home Pride's Butter Top Honey Wheat bread ingredient list:

Enriched wheat flour (flour, barley malt, ferrous sulfate (iron), “B” vitamins (niacin, thaimine mononitrate (B1), riboflavin (B2), folic acid)), water, sweetener (high fructose corn syrup or sugar), yeast, wheat bran, whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, molasses. Contains 2% or less of: soybean oil, salt, sweet dairy whey, butter (cream, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, honey, corn syrup, calcium sulfate, soy flour, dough conditioners (may contain: dicalcium phosphate, calcium dioxide, sodium stearoyl lactylate, ethoxylated mono and diglycerides, mono and diglycerides, and/or datem), yeast nutrients (may contain: ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, and/or ammonium phosphate), cornstarch, wheat starch, vinegar, natural flavor, beta carotene (color), enzymes, calcium propionate (to retain freshness), soy lecithin.


Kinda scary.... A little effort and you can avoid all of those nasty, and I'm sure, potentially harmful add-ons. I've posted the link for King Arthur's Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread below. Give it a try and let me know what you think :-)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment