Thursday, September 27, 2012

Quinoa Porridge


Quinoa Porridge has pretty much been my go to breakfast meal since I was introduced to the amazing grain about a year ago at The Natural Gourmet Institute. For those of you who didn't know, it also happens to be where I attend culinary school. It's also the dopest culinary school ever btw.... I'm learning how to burn just as I would at any other culinary school, but the difference is that I'm learning how to cook healthy foods in a gourmet fashion. Health supportive food that tastes good???? Yep.

Anyway, quinoa was one of the "grains" that I was introduced to back in the beginning of the program. I put grain in quotations, because it's actually a seed that is cooked like a grain. It can be eaten in savory meals and cooked like rice ( I like to do quinoa stir-frys) or in sweeter meals like porridge. Regardless of how it's eaten, it's full of protein, amino acids, calcium, phosphorus, and iron. But most importantly it's delicious, and requires like 6 ingredients, most of which you already have in your kitchen. So for that recipe... here it goes..

Steph Kang's seriously simple Quinoa porridge

Makes 4, 1/2 cup servings of quinoa.

1 cup of quinoa

1 tsp of cinnamon

2 cups of water

A pinch of salt

To taste:

Vanilla extract ( 1/4 tsp per bowl of quinoa)

Coconut milk or almond milk or rice milk (1/4 cup)

Butter ( 1 pat) ( can be omitted or substituted for coconut oil)

Pure Maple Syrup (1 teaspoon)



Procedure:

1. Combine quinoa and cinnamon into a small pot over low/medium heat and stir until you smell the cinnamon and quinoa being toasted (about 3 minutes).

2. Add water and salt.

3. Bring quinoa, water, and salt mixture to a boil, once at a boil reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes. The quinoa is done once the seeds/ grains are tender.

4. Portion out a 1/2 cup of quinoa into a bowl and add your "To taste" ingredients, well to taste haha.

5. Enjoy!!!

*******
OK - A future Chef's ( who happens to work and go to school and has a social life) tip:

I add my "to taste" ingredients once I'm ready to eat because I'm a busy woman and I don't always have time to cook up quinoa. I portion out what I want for breakfast and season in the bowl because later that night it's very likely that I'll be coming home ravenous and use that same quinoa to stir fry with kale, garlic, corn and sweet potatoes.

The next morning I'll use what's left over from the previous night to make quinoa porridge again, but this time with blueberries and apples. I always try to think in advance and have food ready for the next meal so that I don't make too many crazy, impulsive food choices.

Quinoa Porridge to go:

Let me know if you have any questions.


Happy Eating :-)

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment